Indiana Patients Follow Legal Case Linking Hospital-Acquired Infection and Alcohol Pads

needle.jpgLast month, Triad Group announced a recall of alcohol swabs due to fears of bacterial contamination. According to Triad, the risk of someone actually falling sick from these contaminated swabs was actually quite small. The parents of a two-year-old boy, who died from a hospital-acquired infection, have now filed a lawsuit against Triad, claiming that the swabs were responsible for his fatal infection.

Two-year-old Harrison Kothari had been admitted to the hospital for a routine surgery, and had been scheduled to be discharged in a few days time, but on 1 December, he began to suffer acute organ failure from bacterial meningitis. Harrison died soon after. His parents struggled to understand the cause of their son’s death, until they came across reports of a recall of the alcohol swabs that had been used during his procedure. That recall notice by Triad Group warned consumers of the contaminated alcohol swabs, and cautioned medical professional against using these swabs even for cleaning the site of an injection. According to Triad, the risk of an infection developing from these contaminated swabs is very minute.

Harrison’s family has now filed a lawsuit against Triad Group, the largest company that manufactures these swabs. According to the parents, the recall notice mentioned that these contaminated swabs could be infected with the deadly organism called Bacillus cereus, the same organism that caused their son’s meningitis.

What concerns Indiana product liability attorneys is the fact that these alcohol swabs were sold not just under the Triad Group label, but also under many generic labels. The Food and Drug Administration has already warned consumers not to use the alcohol swabs, which came as part of prepackaged kits. These kits include those manufactured by Bayer, GlaxoSmithKline, Merck & Co. and Novartis Pharmaceuticals.