Fireworks Safety Is Everyone’s Job

001338.SparklerWe’ve written extensively about the importance of fireworks safety. It’s of critical concern this time of year. Adults and children both enjoy the beautiful colors and large explosions. It adds drama and excitement to our nation’s birthday celebration. Created over 2000 years ago, fireworks have become ubiquitous during celebrations of all sorts, from New Years to the end of a baseball game. No where are they more familiar than in the Independence Day celebrations across the nation.

Representing the “rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air” from Francis Scott Key’s national anthem many fireworks shows feature amazing displays.

Even in the hands of highly trained professionals, the use of fireworks is a dangerous and risky proposition. For those yearly armatures who purchase highly explosive entertainment and fail to take the proper precautions, the risks of injury escalates dramatically.

For those who have decided to light up the night, a few simple procedures could make all the difference between a night of fun or a visit to your local emergency room, or worse.

It is of the utmost importance that the fireworks be lit at a safe distance from spectators. Ideally, they should be on a fire-proof surface and away from homes or structures. Store-bought fireworks can be unpredictable, often shooting off in random directions.

Water should always be present when using fireworks. Either a bucket of water or a hose connected to running water should be available at all times. Should a rocket or explosive fail to go off, they should be dowsed with water as soon as possible. This will reduce the risk of an injury due to unexpected explosions.

Adult supervision is paramount to fireworks safety. Each year thousands of children are injured by the use of the most common of pyrotechnics; sparklers. There is no other situation in which a loving and caring parent would hand a child a stick that is burning at a temperature of more than 1,000 degrees. A electric stove top turned on high is only 375 degrees in heat. Yet each year children as young as 2-years old are handed a sparkler burning 3-times hotter than a stove top.

A simple solution to reducing fireworks injuries is to appreciate the danger involved, remove the risk from children and spectators, or better yet, leave the fireworks to the professionals.

If you or a loved one has been injured using or viewing fireworks you should contact the Indiana personal injury attorneys at the law offices of Montross Miller Muller Mendelson & Kennedy, LLP. An attorney will review your potential claim and assist you in pursuing the justice you deserve.