While there are a number of benefits from the use of medical and health technology, there are also a number of risks associated with the use of such technology. The ECRI Institute has released a list of the top 10 technology hazards for the year 2012.
The list was compiled after asking the following questions-
• How harmful is the hazard associated with the technology?
• How likely is the hazard?
• How widespread is it?
• Is it a high-profile problem?
1. Indiana medical malpractice lawyers will not be too surprised to find that alarm fatigue is ranked as the number one technology hazard in 2012. Alarm-related adverse events occur because of alarm fatigue when nurses and other staff become overexposed, and fatigued by the sheer numbers of alerts that they have to deal with everyday.
2. Exposure hazards from radiation therapy in CT have also taken up a lot of space on our