It is a well-known fact that children are just as much at risk from choking on pieces of food, as on toys. Earlier this year, a study confirmed that 60% of children below the age of four, who had to be rushed to hospital emergency rooms after a choking incident, had choked on food, and not toys.
In spite of this, there are few or no restrictions on the kind of foods that you can allow a three or four-year-old child to have. In contrast, there are a number of barriers between a child and a small toy, or a toy with detachable parts. This is in spite of the fact that many of the small toys that are believed to be a choking hazard, like small balls, are shaped and sized exactly like foods that can cause serious harm to a child, like gumdrops.