Indianapolis resident, Alice Helterbrand woke to a shock early Sunday morning when her furnace exploded, causing the total destruction of her home and the loss of several exotic birds. The explosion was so destructive that Ms. Helterbrand had to be rescued by neighbors through a hole in her wall. The home was determined to be a total loss, estimated at a value of $140,000. A neighboring home suffered about $20,000 in damage due to the flames and heat.
Helterbrand’s daughter informed officials that the furnace had been making a funny sound for several days.
Miraculously, no one suffered serious personal injured, as all other family members were staying with friends for the night.