There is nothing more thrilling that watching the night sky fill with the colors and sounds of a perfectly orchestrated 4th of July fireworks display. It is a brilliant reminder and celebration of our nation’s birth. In the hands of a licensed and trained professional, it is a perfect way to celebrate the holiday. However, too many people fail to appreciate the level of danger fireworks pose to those who are not careful about their use and each year thousands of American citizens spend their holiday nursing wounds and burns rather than celebrating their freedom.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), more than 6,000 people present to a local emergency room for fireworks related injuries in the month around the July 4th holiday. That’s 230 people a day who show up with injuries they sustained while using, or even watching fireworks. Half of those injuries are burns on some part of the body, with 38% of the injuries to the eyes, head, face, and ears.
While parents would never allow a child to operate a welder or a blow torch, many parents hand their children a sparkler and allow them to wave them around. What they may not know is that those sparklers can burn at nearly 2,000 degrees, which is hot enough to melt some metals! According to information provided by CPSC, of all the fireworks related injuries reported, 31% were caused by sparklers. And of those injured, 40% were under the age of 14 years old. Clearly the danger is real.